17 E Main St
In 1896 the restaurant and bar opened for business
in the well known J.J. Sullivan Hotel at it’s present location on East Main Street in Riverhead.
It is believed to be the oldest continuing restaurant, bar and hotel in the town of Riverhead and the North Fork.
They even continued to operate through Prohibition by imaginative use of secret doors and dumbwaiters.
The mahogany and marble bar, originally constructed for the 1893 World Exposition in Chicago, still stands.
Eastern Long Island is a special place, blessed by a
long growing season, ample rain and sun. The
bounty of the East End is legendary. 150 years ago
New York City restaurants boasted about our oysters
and clams. Fish, duck, fruits, vegetables, wines and
more, it’s all here. At Tweed’s we make every effort
to use local products whenever possible. First, because
it is better, but importantly, this selection supports the local economy, which in turn supports and preserves a way of
life that we treasure.