More than 150 years old, the Greek Revival at 207 Main Street has served many owners, each in a unique way suited to the era.
Constructed just before the Civil War by the Osborne family, the current structure has foundations dating from the 17th century. For much of the 19th century, the building was used as a tannery, and first took in overnight guests while their saddles were being repaired.
In the mid-1920s, the home began service as a full-time inn and became known as The Maidstone Arms. Newspaper columns in the ensuing decades announced the seasonal residency of a rotating roster of socialites, and the inn became a fashionable destination as East Hampton grew into a world-famous summer colony.
In 2008 the inn was purchased by Swedish hotelier Jenny Ljungberg, and now welcomes discerning travelers as c/o The Maidstone.
We are lovers of clever design and arresting photography, but our favorite art is the art of appreciation. When planning the amenities of c/o The Maidstone, we’ve anticipated your wants and needs, and hope you’ll appreciate the range of products and conveniences on offer at our hotel in The Hamptons.
At c/o The Maidstone, you are free to enjoy:
- Complimentary WiFi throughout the hotel or use of an iMac in the reception area
- Complimentary yoga in our East Hampton Buddha Garden
- Each room comes with a much-coveted beach parking permit
- Ride to the beach or take a scenic ride around the village and explore East Hampton on one of our Kronan bikes, a civilian version of those used by the Swedish army
- View our private photography collection
- Concierge service. We have an extensive roster of spa services specialists, dog walkers, pet groomers, babysitters and other professionals. If you have a need that for whatever reason we cannot meet, we will make it our mission to find someone who can
- Our private garden and lawn are furnished with classic Swedish lawn furniture as well as croquet & boules sets. Be sure to try Kubb, a Viking garden game
- ADA Accessible: The common areas of c/o The Maidstone, as well as one of our cottages, meet ADA accessibility standards. Visitors with special needs should alert the staff, and we will be happy to accommodate you
- Family friendly – we have a special children’s menu: healthy, tasty and fun. Scrumptious picnic lunches are a snap! We’ll also connect you with child-friendly events in town
- Your best friend is ours too. We welcome well-behaved pets. Our concierge can connect you with walkers, pet groomers, and veterinarians
- Our retail store offers products from environmentally friendly brands such as apothecary items by Malin+Goetz and organic cotton linens by Coyuchi. Also delight in our local foodstuffs both sweet and savory
- Hungry minds are sated by our library, stocked with volumes about art, design, photography and the Hamptons’ history.